We are publishing the former City Attorney's Contract for your perusal.
A question we would ask is if Mayor Gahan had to honor the Contract and give Mr. Gibson two month's notice as stated? Is he still working under this Contract or has another been drawn up reflecting the different board(s) work he has been hired to do -- Mayor Gahan? (We'd simply like to see a more recent Contract.)
Of course, there are other questions associated with the Contract in question. The big question is why didn't the City Council know the expense(s) involved? It's simply a fact ONE of the few jobs the Council has is the MONEY. OUR money.
Is it really true Kaye Garry has returned to the Controller's Office part-time? Is the insurance a factor?
On to the Contract:
AGREEMENT FOR SERVICES
This agreement for Services (this "Agreement) is made and entered this 1st day of January, 2009, by and between Shane L. Gibson d/b/a/ Gibson Law Office, LLC (the "Gibson"), and the City of New Albany (hereafter referred to as "City"). Gibson and City agree as follows:
1. Gibson is an independent contractor for the City and
shall be paid $12,500.00 per month.
2. Gibson shall be the head of the Legal Department.
3. Gibson has agreed to not take on additional clients
in order to devote his ultimate time to the City.
4. Gibson shall be responsible for all his federal and
state taxes. The City is not responsible for any
obligations with respect to taxes for Gibson (i.e.
employer contributions) since Gibson is an
5. Gibson shall be responsible for any retirement of
his choosing. City shall not be participating
and/or making payments to PERF on behalf of Gibson.
6. City shall provide Gibson with a 1099 for tax
7. City shall provide Gibson space for an office
and the use of the City Attorney's budget for
costs associated with the City Legal
Department and its operations.
8. City shall provide Gibson an administrative
assistant to assist in the duties relating
to the Legal Department.
9. City shall pay and/or provide for professional
liability insurance for Gibson. Gibson shall
pay all other costs associated with
maintaining his attorney license.
10. Gibson shall pay for all continuing education
requirements which are not directly related
to Municipal Government and its operations.
11. Gibson and/or his family shall participate
in the health insurance and other insurance
policies and plans offered by the City.
12. Gibson's duties and responsibilities shall
include, but not limited to, attendance at
respective board meetings for the City
Departments, City Council meetings, research
legal issues and render legal opinions, and
draft legal documents, enforce tickets and
13. Gibson shall be available during normal business
hours for work related to the City.
14. This contract shall terminate at the will of
either party upon notice of two (2) months.
Date: January 1, 2009 Douglas B. England, Sr., Mayor City of NA
Date: January 1, 2009 Shane L. Gibson, Attorney
(OUR APOLOGIES FOR NOT BEING ABLE TO SCAN THE DOCUMENT. THE TYPE IS TOO LIGHT AND DOCUMENT NOR SIGNATURES WERE READABLE.)